Plant Based Hempy Rolls Recipe
Our Plant Based Hempy Rolls are an absolutely crowd pleaser, and incorporate two of The Brothers Green raw New Zealand hemp products; Spray Free Hemp Hearts, and Organic Hemp Seed Protein. This recipe is very simple and doesn't take a lot of time to make. Perfect if you're feeding a larger group of people, or to have in the freezer to eat at a later date. Our Hempy Rolls can be made vegan by purchasing vegan puff pastry and using coconut oil instead of an organic free-range egg.
Serves: Approx. 12 rolls
Cooking time: 20-25 mins
Cooking temp: 200°C
- 400g tin of lentils
- 400g fresh mushrooms
- 4 Tbsp of Hemp Hearts
- 3 Tbsp of Hemp Seed Protein
- 3-4 sheets of vegan puff pastry
- Pinch of salt (or mushroom salt, or 1 tbsp powdered vege stock)
- Pinch of ground black pepper Coconut oil (or 1 free-range organic egg)
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Drain moisture from lentils in a sieve or colander. More moisture will make the mix wet, making for gooey sausage rolls rather than a nice firm mix.
- Cut mushrooms into chunks and sauté in pan. Add a pinch of salt (ideally powdered mushroom stock from Bin Inn, or 1 tbsp of powdered vegetable stock), and a pinch of black pepper.
- Smash lentils in a bowl and create a ‘mush’ for your sausage mix. Add the mushrooms to lentils and combine them together.
- Add the hemp hearts and hemp protein to the mix. The idea is to replace breadcrumbs with ingredients of nutritional value to bulk up the mix. To avoid a crumbly mix, it is essential your mix is firm rather than dry. The hemp ingredients will absorb some excess moisture.
- Season to taste with more pepper or salt.
- Allow mix to cool. A cold mix is easier to roll than a hot/warm one, however there is nothing wrong with working a warm mix if you are in a hurry.
- Lay out puff pastry sheets and spoon mix in a log form along one edge of the pastry.
- Proceed to rolling your Hemp Sausage Rolls, sealing the pastry seam with a little beaten egg along the inside of the pastry overlap.
- Once rolled, cut to desired portion size and place on a sheet of baking paper, on a tray.
- Glaze your rolls with melted coconut oil (or egg).
- Garnish with hemp seeds and herbs for further appeal.
- Place in preheated oven at 200°C and cook for 20 minutes, or until golden.