Plant Based Hempy Rolls Recipe
A Plant Based Alternative to the Classic Sausage Roll
Our Plant Based Hempy Rolls are an absolutely crowd pleaser, and incorporate two of The Brothers Green raw New Zealand hemp products; Spray Free Hemp Hearts, and Organic Hemp Seed Protein. This recipe is very simple and doesn't take a lot of time to make. Perfect if you're feeding a larger group of people, or to have in the freezer to eat at a later date. Our Hempy Rolls can be made vegan by purchasing vegan puff pastry and using coconut oil instead of an organic free-range egg.
Serves: Approx. 12 rolls
Cooking time: 20-25 mins
Cooking temp: 200°C
- 400g tin of lentils
- 400g fresh mushrooms
- 4 Tbsp of Hemp Hearts
- 3 Tbsp of Hemp Seed Protein
- 3-4 sheets of vegan puff pastry
- Pinch of salt (or mushroom salt, or 1 tbsp powdered vege stock)
- Pinch of ground black pepper Coconut oil (or 1 free-range organic egg)
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Drain moisture from lentils in a sieve or colander. More moisture will make the mix wet, making for gooey sausage rolls rather than a nice firm mix.
- Cut mushrooms into chunks and sauté in pan. Add a pinch of salt (ideally powdered mushroom stock from Bin Inn, or 1 tbsp of powdered vegetable stock), and a pinch of black pepper.
- Smash lentils in a bowl and create a ‘mush’ for your sausage mix. Add the mushrooms to lentils and combine them together.
- Add the hemp hearts and hemp protein to the mix. The idea is to replace breadcrumbs with ingredients of nutritional value to bulk up the mix. To avoid a crumbly mix, it is essential your mix is firm rather than dry. The hemp ingredients will absorb some excess moisture.
- Season to taste with more pepper or salt.
- Allow mix to cool. A cold mix is easier to roll than a hot/warm one, however there is nothing wrong with working a warm mix if you are in a hurry.
- Lay out puff pastry sheets and spoon mix in a log form along one edge of the pastry.
- Proceed to rolling your Hemp Sausage Rolls, sealing the pastry seam with a little beaten egg along the inside of the pastry overlap.
- Once rolled, cut to desired portion size and place on a sheet of baking paper, on a tray.
- Glaze your rolls with melted coconut oil (or egg).
- Garnish with hemp seeds and herbs for further appeal.
- Place in preheated oven at 200°C and cook for 20 minutes, or until golden.
There is no right or wrong way of making these. You may add spinach or other vegetables you have on hand. Experiment, have fun, and see what marvellous hemp creations you can come up with!
Made these yourself? Tag us in your Instagram photos so we can see your creations & share with our followers! @thebrothersgreen_